Is it worth it to visit Los Angeles in December, in the winter season? The City of Dreams is a year-round destination that offers numerous attractions and activities for travellers. However, visiting the City of Angels in December adds a unique and enchanting dimension to your experience. In this blog post, we’ll take a closer look at what it’s like to explore Los Angeles during the holiday season, what to expect, and the activities you can enjoy, along with some that are best saved for other seasons.
What to expect throughout a holiday in Los Angeles in December
Los Angeles in December is a delightful mix of mild weather, holiday cheer, and festive ambience. While you won’t find a winter wonderland covered in snow, you’ll encounter a pleasant climate with daytime temperatures averaging around 68°F (20°C) and cooler evenings. Here’s what to expect when you visit Los Angeles in the winter season:
- Festive Atmosphere: The city comes alive with holiday decorations, from the glittering lights on Rodeo Drive to the giant Christmas tree at The Grove. Stroll through neighbourhoods like Venice and Beverly Hills to admire beautifully adorned houses.
- Fewer Crowds: Compared to the busy summer months, December brings fewer tourists, making it an ideal time to explore popular attractions like Universal Studios, Griffith Observatory, and the Getty Center with shorter lines and less congestion.
- Rainfall: While Los Angeles is known for its dry climate, December is one of the wetter months. Expect occasional rain, so pack an umbrella and a waterproof jacket just in case.
- Outdoor Activities: Enjoy the pleasant weather with outdoor activities like hiking in Runyon Canyon or biking along the Venice Beach boardwalk. The cooler temperatures make these activities more comfortable.
Activities to Do in December:
- Ice Skating: While Los Angeles doesn’t see snow, you can still enjoy the winter sport of ice skating. The Pershing Square Ice Rink and the Ice Rink in Santa Monica offer enchanting settings for a day on the ice.
- Holiday Markets: Explore the unique holiday markets throughout the city. The Renegade Craft Fair and Unique Markets offer an array of handcrafted gifts and artisanal treats perfect for holiday shopping.
- Christmas Lights Tours: Take a guided tour to witness some of the city’s most elaborate and dazzling Christmas light displays. It’s a perfect way to get into the holiday spirit.
Book yourself one of those entertaining Activities for Los Angeles in Winter:
Activities Best Reserved for Other Seasons:
- Beach Days: While December offers pleasant weather for outdoor activities, it might not be warm enough for a typical beach day, including swimming and sunbathing. Save those for the summer months.
- Theme Parks: Although December brings fewer crowds to places like Disneyland and Universal Studios, some rides may be closed for maintenance during the winter season.
Is It Recommended to Visit Los Angeles in December?
Visiting Los Angeles in December is highly recommended for travellers who appreciate a milder climate, holiday festivities, and fewer crowds. It’s an excellent time to explore the city’s cultural and culinary offerings without the sweltering heat of summer. However, if your primary goal is to spend time at the beach, you might want to consider a summer visit. Ultimately, the charm of Los Angeles in December lies in its unique blend of winter magic and Californian allure, making it a memorable destination for a holiday getaway.
So, pack your bags, and get ready to explore the City of Angels in all its December glory!