Spaghetti alla Nerano is a typical Italian pasta dish. A delicious plate of spicy, vegan Spaghetti alla Nerano with fried zucchini is the perfect primi dish. The first course in Italy is usually a pasta dish, followed by a protein packed second, main dish. Learn in this Recipe a variation of a typical Spaghetti alla Nerano. No cheese which makes it vegan, some added chili flakes to make it spicy. Only four ingredients, if you count in yummy olive oil, and you will be able to enjoy a hearty pasta meal in less than 15 minutes. Perfect for a warm after-work dinner or a quick lunch when working from home. This vegan Spaghetti dish offers only few ingredients, but they harmonize so well. Juicy zucchini slices, with a adequate warmth of heat thanks to the chili, slippery due to the good olive oil, and Spaghetti, probably the best kind of Pasta anyway. You will definitely enjoy this Italian pasta dish, and Spaghetti alla Nerano are always delicious!
You might be also interested in Recipes with Spaghetti, 15 minute Recipes or the full directory of Italian Cuisine – List of every Italian dish.
Recipe for vegan Spaghetti alla Nerano with Zucchini, chili flakes and olive oil
What you will need for vegan Spaghetti alla Nerano:
- Spaghetti – Spaghetti are a very versatile kind of pasta. They work with virtually any pasta sauce or preparation method you might want to try out. If you don’t like Spaghetti, you can also use Penne, Fusili or Bucatini (a thicker kind of long pasta)
- Zucchini – the main character of this pasta dish. You can use regular green zucchini or yellow ones. Make sure its a fresh one which is still firm and not too mushy, to properly sauté-fry them later
- chili flakes – for a different kind of spice, I personally like to add dry chili flakes. You can also add pieces of raw fresh chili or chili infused oil, I would not recommend adding Tabasco or Sriracha as its a different kind of heat…
- olive oil – As olive oil has a supporting role in this dish you may want to use a better quality oil, eg extra virgin quality
- pepper and salt are always good spices to turn a meal into a delicious meal
Preparation for Italian vegan Spaghetti with sautéed-fried Zucchini and Chili Flakes
- Cook the spaghetti in plenty of salted water. In the meantime, wash the zucchini, dry them, cut them into thin rounds and eventually half them
- Heat a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil in a pan on medium heat, add the Zucchini slices and slightly brown them. Add the chili flakes
- Once the Spaghetti are cooked al dente, add the pasta to the pan, as well as a ladleful of the starchy cooking water. Add a pinch of pepper and by stirring well, finish cooking the pasta, until all remaining water has been evaporated.
- Serve immediately and enjoy this juicy, spicy vegan Spaghetti alla Nerano easy pasta dish
If you are looking for the traditional recipe with Provolone or Parmesan cheese I can recommend the Spaghetti alla Nerano recipe by Food52, which you can find right here.
spicy, vegan Spaghetti alla Nerano
- 80 g Spaghetti
- 1/2 zucchini
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Add water to a pot and bring it to boil, add a pinch of salt once it starts bubbling and add the Spaghetti.80 g Spaghetti
- Wash your zucchini, dry it with a kitchen paper towel and slice the zucchini. Depending on the size of the zucchini you might want to half the slices.1/2 zucchini
- Add the olive oil into a pan on medium heat. Wait until the oil is heated up and add the sliced zucchini. You want to simmer-cook-fry them, not completely brown them by frying. The Zucchini should still remain soft, not crispy. Add the chili flakes once they have reached the desired tenderness and have started to brown a bit.1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp chili flakes
- In the meantime the Spaghetti should be cooked al-dente. Reduce the heat of the pan to low and add the Pasta to the cook-fried zucchini and chili flakes. Make sure a bit of pasta water gets transferred well, to make sure the Spaghetti alla Nerano are moist and juicy.Sprinkle and season with some pepper and additional salt if needed (the pasta water has already been salted) and serve immediately.Enjoy!